I've finally moved on from journalism and ventured out to the corporate world. After 4 years, 10 mths and 2 weeks with the newspaper, I've finally made my shift. It was long overdue since my initial plan was to stay for two years but shit happens, and for what it's worth, I guess the shit was worth it, cos' it took away all the idealism that I had in mind. Having said that, it doesn't mean I've become all cynical and critical :P
So ok, today is my 13th day in the new office. As told to many friends, my first week of work was a culture shock because the office was dead quiet and mobile phones were on silent mode. People were more reserved here compared to the newsroom, but it doesn't mean that they are less fun. I found out at the recent annual dinner, people went all out to party -- guess it's just a matter of timing and suitability of the event ;)
I think I've made some headways in breaking the ice among fellow colleagues. Would have liked to quicken the process but it's never as easy as one wants. Different office has different set of corporate cultures. Obviously the newsroom is full of buzz and adrenaline running, but that also means planning is futile and inefficiency is tolerated to a certain extend. Here may seem all prim and proper but things get done very quickly. Just imagine, I received my business cards on my 6th day of work and that was already seen as slow (At previous place, I was only allowed to have business cards upon confirmation, which is 3 mths!)
Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised that I took the transition quite well albeit the initial shock. Still early to tell how this would turn out eventually but the future is always uncertain anyway (one can only do so much to control the outcome ...)
Here's to a closure of 2009, which has brought much pleasant experiences (summer school in Glasgow as the most memorable) as well as some unnecessary frustrations due to poor leadership...

