Wednesday, 16 March 2005

Are you for real?

There were two persons that I asked this question to. It wasn't an intelligent question, just an honest one, with an expected honest reply in return. I guess i was naive to expect that when everyone of us are dealing with our own insecurities, inferiority, fear, guilt and all the little things that we hide in our closets. No one wants to be real, knowing that there's the possibility that our true self may not be likeable after all.

I remember a sermon that i once heard. Will you like me if i open my masks? i wonder if i'm likeable if people around me really know who i am.

Last week I was dumbfolded to find one of my friends, whom i've kept in touch on a regular basis (at least once in two weeks) to be a person that i hardly know anymore. I was a bit struck by that realisation. Not that she has become someone i dislike, but i just felt i don't know her anymore.

I went back home that evening wondering to myself if i have become too closed up in my own little world that i've kept all the characters the same, thinking that their lives have not changed that much since i first met them. My friends tell me people move on, and i don't deny that. I guess the thing that i find it hard to accept is that by moving on, their values have changed also.

Makes me wonder if i really have true friends around me? Are they really the persons that I thought they were? or are they wearing facades and masks like everyone else? Can i trust another person?

Does time prove the real person? have i been real also?