Tuesday, 14 April 2009

Part of the herd

When they say they want change and to do things in a different way, they don't actually mean it. What they really mean is, excite me, inspire me, but give me the same thing.

If you read Kam Raslan's column in the Edge on March 30 (http://www.kamraslan.com/kr-te/?p=56); he wittingly pointed out that "change" is a great word to gain popularity these days. But honestly, which person likes change when it means coming out of the comfort zone and to take on the unknown? Especially for us Malaysians who have accepted fate and the way life is in this country (including the kind of leaders we elect). Don't get me wrong. This is a great country, a blessed one too in nature but too bad, we're lousy managers.

My colleague today commented that our port's facilities paled in comparison to Singapore (our Causeway neighbour) and as a result, many ships make Singapore as their docking point to replenish fuel and supply instead of here. Now this is a product gap (as my lecturer would put it) that can be easily filled but no one really bothered because there are just too much clean-up to do before the returns come in. We're great for our short-sightedness and we live up to it.

A couple of months ago, this person mentioned how she would like to develop her project. She said it in such jest that I believed her. Months down the road, I realised that she didn't want to make it as great as she said it to be (that's nice words to hear). The project is afterall a marketing tool. Why be thought provoking when the common fits just well? Ok, I'm judging and I shall stop here.

My friends asked me at dinner 3 weekends ago what I would like to do after I graduate? I told them I wanted to put my MBA to use. The next second, there was roar of laughter on the table. One of them said I was being naive and that I should have put my money in better use if that was what I wanted to do with the qualification. They're my close friends and I love them to pieces but I didn't agree with them. Then again, it's my choice and my money. At the end of the day, I have no one to be accountable to (except God, that is) but myself.

When will we break away from the herd mentality? When will we gain the courage to be the only zebra among the horses? Probably never .. since no one likes a sore point. The only pointed one, for that matter ... Ok, I'm judging so I shall stop.