I'm gonna ramble; for the posts that I did not manage to post on the blog. F. reminded me last week during buka puasa that my last post was still Europe Again .. hehe ... I blame it on poor Internet connections (d*** Maxis broadband which has weak signals on the 15th floor!) and lack of energy by the time I reach home.
Yesterday, I felt an inkling that it's really time to move on, as much as I loved doing what I do, there is only so much to learn from the trade and once that ends, there is really nothing else to look forward to.
1Malaysia. The latest hot tagline that keeps appearing on our tv screen, radio, cinema, newspapers, etc .. whatever medium of communication there is, it's there. I was telling my colleague the other day that it was such a contradiction whenever I think of 1Malaysia. Have we never been 1Malaysia? yes, we have our differences, sometimes less tolerant but most of the time, we have been to the rest of the world, Malaysia, regardless of our ethnic groups, mother tongue and religion. I read somewhere that 1Malaysia also means justice for all and the first thought that came to mind, isn't justice an universal value? that justice applies to every human being? Few days ago, there was an ad on the newspaper that announced the 1Malaysia unit trust fund is now open to everyone after a short period of restriction based on quota for the respective race. it feels like irony again cos if 1Malaysia means an united community without barriers of colour, and bla, bla, then perhaps the fund should be open to everyone in the first place ... but that's just me, cos i'm a cynical journo who has no better things to do than to observe all these trivial things :)
Buka puasa. Last week a group of friends and I went to buka puasa at Chinoz. it was a pleasant evening. we were debating whether the 50 dishes were actual dishes or if they included several drinks offered in the buffet. we never really found out cos' none of us were bothered enough to count. just one of those things that you argue about but never really wanted to know for sure. such like politics.
Cash flow projection. a person with certain credentials and knowledge would know you need to have cash to repay your debts, and that cash does not appear in the air but need to be generated from certain activities, such as working or having a job. basic. you earn, you pay bills. no rocket science. when i read about individuals on board of a big project and do not understand the term "cash flow projection", i can forgive them because it's an accounting term, but they should at least understand the act of cash flow projection. one makes sure there is cash coming in from whatever he/she/company is doing so he/she/company can repay the debts borrowed. you earn, you pay bills. it amazes me everytime when a scandal breaks out, the first thing that the people involved put the blame on is their lack of calibre ie. "I don't know ..." What bewildered me even more is that we, the society, accept such reason. "Oh it's okay, he doesn't know what he doesn't know ..." When a person is paid to do a job, shouldn't he also be expected to know what he is doing? If he does not, why then do we pay him such salary? It makes us, the payer, more ignorant than him. For too many times, I wish that we'd be less forgiving and go on to reprimand those who have failed to fulfill their duties entrusted to them, especially when they're in the public service, of which our hard-earned money goes to every year in taxes. If I'm expected to know what I'm doing in my job, I'd expect the same for the MPs, or ADUNs, or ministers to know what they are doing. If they don't, they shouldn't be there in the first place.
Politics. a subject too tiring for discourse. think i've said enough for the day.
Yesterday, I felt an inkling that it's really time to move on, as much as I loved doing what I do, there is only so much to learn from the trade and once that ends, there is really nothing else to look forward to.
1Malaysia. The latest hot tagline that keeps appearing on our tv screen, radio, cinema, newspapers, etc .. whatever medium of communication there is, it's there. I was telling my colleague the other day that it was such a contradiction whenever I think of 1Malaysia. Have we never been 1Malaysia? yes, we have our differences, sometimes less tolerant but most of the time, we have been to the rest of the world, Malaysia, regardless of our ethnic groups, mother tongue and religion. I read somewhere that 1Malaysia also means justice for all and the first thought that came to mind, isn't justice an universal value? that justice applies to every human being? Few days ago, there was an ad on the newspaper that announced the 1Malaysia unit trust fund is now open to everyone after a short period of restriction based on quota for the respective race. it feels like irony again cos if 1Malaysia means an united community without barriers of colour, and bla, bla, then perhaps the fund should be open to everyone in the first place ... but that's just me, cos i'm a cynical journo who has no better things to do than to observe all these trivial things :)
Buka puasa. Last week a group of friends and I went to buka puasa at Chinoz. it was a pleasant evening. we were debating whether the 50 dishes were actual dishes or if they included several drinks offered in the buffet. we never really found out cos' none of us were bothered enough to count. just one of those things that you argue about but never really wanted to know for sure. such like politics.
Cash flow projection. a person with certain credentials and knowledge would know you need to have cash to repay your debts, and that cash does not appear in the air but need to be generated from certain activities, such as working or having a job. basic. you earn, you pay bills. no rocket science. when i read about individuals on board of a big project and do not understand the term "cash flow projection", i can forgive them because it's an accounting term, but they should at least understand the act of cash flow projection. one makes sure there is cash coming in from whatever he/she/company is doing so he/she/company can repay the debts borrowed. you earn, you pay bills. it amazes me everytime when a scandal breaks out, the first thing that the people involved put the blame on is their lack of calibre ie. "I don't know ..." What bewildered me even more is that we, the society, accept such reason. "Oh it's okay, he doesn't know what he doesn't know ..." When a person is paid to do a job, shouldn't he also be expected to know what he is doing? If he does not, why then do we pay him such salary? It makes us, the payer, more ignorant than him. For too many times, I wish that we'd be less forgiving and go on to reprimand those who have failed to fulfill their duties entrusted to them, especially when they're in the public service, of which our hard-earned money goes to every year in taxes. If I'm expected to know what I'm doing in my job, I'd expect the same for the MPs, or ADUNs, or ministers to know what they are doing. If they don't, they shouldn't be there in the first place.
Politics. a subject too tiring for discourse. think i've said enough for the day.
